This well-established and widely adopted text, now in its Seventh Edition, continues to provide a comprehensive coverage of the morphology of the design process. It gives a holistic view of product design, which has inputs from diverse fields such as aesthetics, strength analysis, production design, ergonomics, value analysis, reliability and quality, Taguchi methods, and quality with six sigma and computer applications in design and manufacturing. The topic of new product development, which is carried out in pre-market phase, has been discussed in detail. In addition, analysis of product life cycles and forecasting models in post-market phase has been carried out in detail. The text discusses the importance and objectives of design for environment. Many examples have been provided to illustrate the concepts discussed.
The book is primarily intended as a text for students of Mechanical Engineering, Production Engineering, and Industrial Design and Management. It will also prove handy of practising engineers.
• “Appendix F” on use of Autodesk AutoCAD has been illustrated through an example.
• Appendices A to F are very important and useful additions to the book.
• The provision of Answer Key to Review Questions pertaining to all the 17 chapters of the book.
• Classification of Products into Convenience Products, Shopping Products, Specialty Products with a more detailed coverage on Industrial Products.
• Defines the latest concept of Product Lifecycle Management.
• Describes use of Autodesk AutoCAD for solid modelling.
• A Question Bank comprising 51 Questions has been appended at the end of this book to provide information in a question answer form about the latest developments in Concepts in Engineering Design as per latest syllabi.
• Chapter 17 on Design for Environment has been recast considering the present developments in this area.