Macroeconomics, which along with microeconomics forms one of the two most general fields of studies in economics, deals with an economy as a whole—national, regional and global. This textbook on macroeconomics in its second edition makes significant contribution to teaching and learning of the subject. Macroeconomics texts that are available present mathematical models and theories without using mathematics. Hence, students find it difficult to get a clear idea of the theories presented. Using elementary tools of school level mathematics, this book presents the theories mathematically and illustrates them diagrammatically. The purpose is to give the students a clear vision of the theories presented. Meanings of every equation, every expression and intuition of every result are clearly explained. Every mathematical step involved in the derivation of the results is fully explained. Upon reading this book, a student will learn how to construct a macroeconomic model mathematically, how to illustrate the solution of the model diagrammatically and how to carry out stability analysis and comparative static exercises mathematically and diagrammatically.
The book presents both Keynesian and neoclassical macroeconomic theories lucidly, evaluates them in the light of real life experiences and makes a comparative assessment of the two schools of thought in macroeconomics. In this respect also, this book constitutes a unique contribution as a textbook of macroeconomics.
• Explains the concepts in an easy-to-understand language.
• Includes numerous exercises within the text as well as at the end of each chapter.
• Illustrates the concepts with the help of examples, figures and tables.
NEW TO THE EDITION
• Chapters 3, 9 and 10 have been revised thoroughly to add new insights into the theories presented there.
• Some of the other chapters have also been revised to improve their quality and coverage.
• The data tables have also been updated to illustrate the applications of the theories using recent data.
• Solution hints have been added to most of the difficult problems.
• This book is intended mainly as a text for undergraduate and postgraduate students of Economics for their courses in Macroeconomics. Besides, students of management will also find the book immensely useful in acquiring fundamental knowledge of macroeconomics, which is crucial for making business decisions.
• BA/B.Sc.—Economics on Macroeconomics.
• MA/M.Sc.—Economics on Macroeconomics.
• MBA—Most B–schools have a paper on Macroeconomics in their MBA programme.