The book, now in its Fifth Edition, aims to provide a practical view of GNU/Linux and Windows 7, 8 and 10, covering different design considerations and patterns of use. The section on concepts covers fundamental principles, such as file systems, process management, memory management, input-output, resource sharing, interprocess communication (IPC), distributed computing, OS security, real-time and microkernel design. This thoroughly revised edition comes with a description of an instructional OS to support teaching of OS and also covers Android, currently the most popular OS for handheld systems. Basically, this text enables students to learn by practicing with the examples and doing exercises.
NEW TO THE FIFTH EDITION
• Includes the details on Windows 7, 8 and 10
• Describes an Instructional Operating System (PintOS), FEDORA and Android
• The following additional material related to the book is available at www.phindia.com/bhatt.
o Source Code Control System in UNIX
o X-Windows in UNIX
o System Administration in UNIX
o VxWorks Operating System (full chapter)
o OS for handheld systems, excluding Android
o The student projects
o Questions for practice for selected chapters
• BE/B.Tech (Computer Science and Engineering and Information Technology)
• M.Sc. (Computer Science) BCA/MCA