The book, now in its third edition, is thoroughly revised and updated as per the new syllabi of Optical Fiber Communication of various universities. The material is well-presented and designed for undergraduate and postgraduate students pursuing courses in Electrical Engineering, and Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering.
The book offers a completely accessible and in-depth knowledge of the principles and applications of optical fiber communication (OFC). It deals with materials, devices, components, and systems of OFC.
The coverage includes key concepts such as properties of light, evolution and elements of OFC, its benefits, along with applications in optical LAN and communication links. The attenuation loss of different types, dispersion mechanism, photon sources (LED and lasers), detectors (PIN and avalanche), analog and digital transmitter and receiver systems, connectorization, OADM, and amplifiers are described. Built-up of long haul OFC links at 8 Mb/s and 2.5 Gb/s, and optical interface are explained with illustrations. It also contains solved numerical problems for better understanding of topics.
• Includes optical fiber LAN for data centres and industries
• Provides detail treatment of LED, semiconductor, lasers, Tx and Rx
• Discusses all optical communications links and optical networks
• Includes important questions with answers
• Provides practice papers and model test papers