Designed as a comprehensive text for students and professionals pursuing careers in the fields of bioinformatics, molecular biology, pharmacy and drug research, the Fifth Edition continues to offer a fascinating and authoritative treatment of the entire spectrum of bioinformatics, covering a wide range of high-throughput technologies. The content can be used for four core courses: bioinformatics fundamentals, genomics, proteomics and drug discovery and design.
The Fifth Edition takes a completely new pedagogical approach and the book is divided into eight distinct Units for the ease of learning: Bioinformatics Fundamentals, Sequence Alignment, Phylogenetic Analysis, Genomics, Protein Structure and Function, Drug Discovery Methods, Drug Design and Development and Integrative Topics. Accordingly, all the chapters are revised and updated in the new edition, besides introduction of seven new chapters and another seven completely re-written chapters.
As a student-friendly text, it embodies several pedagogical features such as detailed examples, numerous tables, a large number of diagrams, flow charts and web resources. The book in its present edition should prove an invaluable asset to the students and researchers in the fields of bioinformatics, biotechnology, computer-aided drug design, information technology, medical diagnostics, molecular biology and pharmaceutical sciences.
NEW TO THE FIFTH EDITION
• Re-written chapters — Biological database search and data retrieval, Pair-wise alignment of sequences, PSSMs and Hidden Markov Models, Gene Mapping, Gene Prediction, Protein Structure Overview and Protein Structure Prediction.
• Inclusion of new chapters—Scoring Matrices, Gene Sequencing, Regulatory Elements Prediction, Comparative Genomics, Protein Structure Databases, Protein Function Prediction and Potential Drug Targets.
• Covers the field of bioinformatics in a complete and integrated approach – moving from the fundamentals to theory and practical applications.
• State-of-the-art technologies for gene identification, molecular modeling and monitoring of cellular processes.
• Data mining, data curation and analysis, classification, interpretation and efficient structure determination of genomes and proteomes.
• Companion website provides useful resources for the teachers as well as for the students. So, visit Learning Centre https:// www.phindia.com/bioinformatics_mendiratta_rastogi to have access of Lecture notes, solutions manual, MCQs, problems set for practice, glossary of important terms, etc.
• UG and PG Students of Bioinformatics, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology and Pharmacy.