Food technology is the application of food science to the selection, preservation, processing, packaging, distribution and use of safe nutritious and wholesome food. The amalgamation of food technology with engineering operations has given birth to the discipline of food engineering. The book is divided into four parts. The first part begins with a brief introduction to food technology and its historical importance and development. The second part covers the basic principles, materials and energy balance concepts that prepare a solid ground for easy comprehension of the technologies involved.
The third part, which deals with unit operations in food processing, is the core component of the book. It includes all the transport phenomena, mechanical operations, size reduction, grinding and milling. A separate chapter is devoted to microwave heating in view of its importance in food processing. Dehydration, solvent extraction, distillation, and mechanical operations have been discussed extensively. The fourth part deals with food industry management, and the peripheral and integrated food engineering operations.
The book caters to the needs of undergraduate and postgraduate students of food engineering and technology and food science and technology.
KEY FEATURES• Provides numerous worked-out examples.
• Explains the concepts without excessive mathematical expressions and derivations.
• Covers all engineering principles that are needed for a successful operation of a food processing plant.
• Includes an extensive set of review questions at the end of each chapter.
NEW TO THE EDITION
• Introduces a new chapter on fermentation highlighting its benefits and applications in food processing industry.
• Incorporates a section on emulsification discussing machinery and equipment used in the process, challenges and its applications in food processing.
• Revises numerical calculations for appropriateness.
• B.Tech. Food Engineering and Technology
• B.Tech/M. Tech. Food Processing and Engineering
• M.Tech. Food Engineering and Technology
• B.Sc. Food Technology