This book is designed to serve as a comprehensive text for undergraduate as well as first-year master’s students of civil engineering in India. Now, in the second edition, the book incorporates a thorough revision and extension of topics covered in the previous edition. In order to keep the treatment focused, the emphasis is on roadways (highways) based transportation systems.
SALIENT FEATURES OF THE BOOK
• Analysis of characteristics of vehicles and drivers that affect traffic and design of traffic facilities.
• Principles of road geometry design and how to lay a road.
• Characterization and analysis of flows on highways, unsignalized and signalized intersections, toll plazas, etc.
• Design principles for traffic facilities.
• Engineering characteristics of pavement materials.
• Structural analysis and design of highway pavements.
• Principles of pavement design with special reference to the Indian conditions.
• Evaluation and maintenance of highways.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE SECOND EDITION
• Incorporates the latest and up-to-date information on the topics covered.
• Includes a large number of figures, tables, worked-out examples, and exercises highlighting practical engineering design problems.
• Elaborates text by introducing new sections on Continuum Models of Traffic Flow, Traffic Flow at Toll Plazas, Determination of Critical Gap, Occlusion of Signs, Fleet Allocation, Vehicle and Crew Assignment, Elastic Solution of Layered Structures, Analysis of Concrete Pavement Structures, Functional Evaluation of Pavements, Highway Economics and Finance, etc. in respective chapters.