Designed as a textbook for Materials Science course offered in undergraduate engineering programmes as well as in M.Sc. (Physics and Chemistry), the book exposes the fundamental knowledge of Crystal Structure, Crystal Defects and Bonding in Solids. The text deals with Introductory Quantum Physics, Electrical Properties of Materials, Band Theory of Solids, Semiconducting Materials and Dielectric Materials. Moreover, Properties of Superconducting Materials as well as Optical Properties of Materials and Magnetic Properties of Materials are emphasized in an explicit way. Also, well-organized presentation of topics, use of simple language, chapter-end solved problems, short and descriptive type questions together make the book effective in terms of building a solid foundation of the subject.
• Detailed coverage of the uses of Optical Properties of Materials like CD, DVD, Blu-ray Disc and Holographic Data Storage.
• Deep explanation of the synthesis and properties of Nanomaterials.
• In-depth coverage of Display Devices.
• Full coverage of advanced engineering materials like Shape Memory Alloys, Metallic Glasses, Non-linear Materials, and Biomaterials.
• Thorough coverage of Nanoelectronics and Nanodevices.
• In-depth detail of synthesis and properties of Carbon Nanotubes.
• Wide coverage of characterization of materials like XRD, ESCA, SEM, TEM, STM, ESR and NMR.