With a boom in the steel industry all over the world today, the demand of sponge iron has considerably increased as a feed (raw) material to steel making. The increase in the demand of sponge iron is also due to the fact that it is used for replacing coke making required for blast furnace processing. The primary objective of this book is to provide the basis, principles, fundamentals and theory of sponge iron production.
This book, earlier titled as Sponge Iron Production in Rotary Kiln, is revised as per the feedback from students, faculty members and professionals. It, now, covers broad spectrum of alternative routes of iron making, therefore, the book is renamed as Alternative Routes to Iron Making. In this revised edition of the book, three new chapters have been added to fulfil the requirement of a textbook for various universities.
• New chapters on:
o Utilization of Sponge Iron
o Environmental Pollution and Control in Sponge Iron Industries
o Smelting Reduction Process
• Inclusion of principle of fluidisation in fluidised bed processes
• Description of Hyl III process with recent development of the process
Primarily intended for undergraduate and postgraduate students of metal-lurgical engineering, this book is equally beneficial for researchers, and professionals engaged in DR processes and steel industries.
• Common terminologies of Direct Reduction process are explained in a simple language.
• Appendices on physical constants and unit conversions used in the DR processes, and measurement of kiln filling degrees are incorporated in detail.
• Several illustrative figures and tables are interspersed in the book.