This textbook, now in the second edition, offers a completely up-to-date and in-depth introduction to the principles and applications of optoelectronic devices and systems. The text gives a detailed description of optical fibre waveguides, optical fibre cables and their characteristics, manufacturing process and drawing of optical fibres. In addition, it deals with photon sources, photon detectors, fibre optics as a medium and LAN and WAN systems, short and long haul optical fibre communication systems, electro-optic modulators and their characteristics.
The second edition possesses a new section on Optical Fibre Based Broadband High Speed Network in Chapter 8, thus highlighting an updated version. Apart from this, a new chapter on Intensity Dependent Refractive Index Effect has been introduced into the text that discusses the effect of focusing on spatial and temperature profiles in a non-linear crystal medium. This chapter further explains the various physical phenomena like the creation of sharp opaque filaments, irradiation induced damaging of the crystal, oscillatory waveguide propagation, saturation effects and other properties in detail.
Primarily intended for the undergraduate students of electronics and communication engineering, the book should also prove extremely useful for the postgraduate students of physics.
• Provides comprehensive explanation of optical fibre communication with illustrations.
• Gives extensive theory and experimental and holographic applications.
• Discusses the applications of lasers in industry, military and medical as well as fibre optics applications.
• Describes optical computing, optical gates and their applications with illustrations.
• Includes solved numericals at the end of book for better understanding of topics.