This book introduces the basic principles of engineering behaviour of soils. The text is designed in such a manner that the syllabi of a core course in Soil Mechanics/Geotechnical Engineering I prescribed in the curriculum of most of the Indian universities is covered. While reading the text, student experiences classroom teaching–learning process. An emphasis is made on explaining the various concepts rather than giving the procedure.
After reading this book, students should be able to:
• Give an engineering classification of a soil
• Understand the principle of effective stress, and then calculate stresses that influence soil behaviour
• Calculate water flow through ground and understand the effects of seepage on the stability of structures.
This textbook is primarily intended for the undergraduate students of civil engineering.
• Numerous numerical solved examples
• Objective Type Questions (with Answers) at the end of each chapter
• Use of SI Systems of units