Modern electronic communication systems use the digital communication techniques to transmit and receive information. This book discusses different methods used to convert data from analog to digital form, and the parameters that affect the performance of data transmission networks.
• Advantages and limitations of digital communication.
• Digital coding schemes such as pulse code modulation.
• Frame structures used for transport of coded signals over the digital communication link.
• Various methods used to enhance bandwidth, from time-division multiplexing to SONET and SDH.
• Different modulation and demodulation techniques used to transmit large volumes of data over long distance networks.
• Most critical parameters, noise and distortion, that affect the quality of data transmission.
• Working of radio transmission networks in a communication system.
• Working of fiber optic networks and the key parameters that affect their performance.