This thorough and comprehensive textbook on machine elements presents the concepts, procedures, data, tools, and techniques students need to design safe, efficient and workable mechanical components of machines. Covering both the conventional design methodology and the new tools such as CAD, optimization and FEM, design procedures for the most frequently encountered mechanical elements have been explained in meticulous detail. The text features an abundance of thoroughly worked-out examples, end-of-chapter questions and exercises, and multiple-choice questions, framed to not only enhance students' learning but also hone their design skills.
Well-written and eminently readable, the text is admirably suited to the needs of undergraduate students in mechanical, production and industrial engineering disciplines.
• Indian Standards are used throughout the book.
• Includes a chapter on computer-aided design and drafting.
• Many chapters have computer programs written in C++.
• A separate chapter devoted to design optimization includes optimization of machine elements using Microsoft Excel 2000.
• Finite Element Method (FEM) is introduced in a separate chapter.