A standard text combining statistical physics with thermal phenomena, this book presents a unified approach to provide a deeper insight into the subject and to bring out the subtle unity of statistical mechanics and thermodynamics. Suitable as a text for undergraduate courses in physics.
• Presents a new pedagogical approach introducing macroscopic (classical) thermodynamics through the statistical mechanics. This new approach is increasingly sought to be introduced worldwide.
• Magnitudes of physical quantities under discussion are emphasized through worked-out examples.
• Questions and exercises are interspersed with the text to help students consolidate the learning.
• Techniques developed in this course are applied to actual modern situations.
• Many topics are introduced through the problems to help inculcate self-study.