An equation means nothing to me unless it expresses a thought of God
National Mathematics Day is celebrated on 22 December every year to mark the birth anniversary of legendary Indian mathematician, Srinivasa Ramanujan. The National Mathematics Day is celebrated to honour his contribution to the field of Mathematics and also to keep his legacy alive to inspire future mathematicians.
On 22 December 2012, the former Prime Minister of India, Dr. Manmohan Singh, paid tribute to Srinivasa Ramanujan at a function organised on the occasion of his 125th birth anniversary. He declared the year as National Mathematics Year. In 2011, the Government of India declared 22nd December as National Mathematics Day.
Srinivasa Ramanujan (1887-1920) was an Indian mathematician who made great and original contributions to many mathematical fields, including complex analysis, number theory, infinite series, and continued fractions. His work has had a fundamental role in the development of modern mathematics.
Honors and Awards
- 1918, Fellow of the Royal Society
- 1918, Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge University
Ramanujan died on April 26, 1920 in Kumbakonam, India, at the age of 32. His death was likely caused by an intestinal disease called hepatic amoebiasis.
- 22nd December is celebrated as State IT Day in Tamil Nadu.
- On his 75th birth anniversary, the Government of India released a stamp picturing Ramanujan.
- Government Arts College, Kumbakonam (where he studied) and IIT Madras celebrate 22nd December as Ramanujan Day.
- The Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP) has established the Srinivasa Ramanujan Prize in honour of the mathematics genius from India.
Srinivasa Ramanujan Medal
The Srinivasa Ramanujan Medal is awarded by the Indian National Science Academy for work in the mathematical sciences.
- Full Name: Srinivasa Aiyangar Ramanujan
- Parents’ Names: K. Srinivasa Aiyangar, Komalatammal
- Born: December 22, 1887
- Birth Place: Erode, Tamil Nadu
- Died: April 26, 1920 at age 32
- Death Place: Kumbakonam, Chennai
PHI’s Textbook On Mathematics
Develop the knowledge and skills to pursue further studies in mathematics with high-quality affordable textbooks published by PHI Learning – a leading Indian academic publisher with 56 years’ experience in the textbook market. With PHI’s textbooks in the area of mathematics, students will understand the interactions between mathematics and the associated field and demonstrate the ability to apply mathematical concepts and techniques into problems in that field.
With the motto of Helping Teachers to Teach and Students to Learn, PHI has published numerous textbooks for the students of Mathematics.
Log on to https://bit.ly/2PMo2zw to find more about the textbooks in the Mathematics area.
For regular updates on new releases from PHI, subscribe to our Newsletter.