Designed as a text for the undergraduate students of instrumentation, electrical, electronics and biomedical engineering, the second edition of the book covers the entire range of instruments and their measurement methods used in the medical field. The functions of the biomedical instruments and measurement methods are presented keeping in mind those students who have minimum required knowledge of human physiology.
The purpose of this book is to review the principles of biomedical instrumentation and measurements employed in the hospital industry. Primary emphasis is laid on the method rather than micro level mechanism. This book serves two purposes: One is to explain the mechanism and functional details of human body, and the other is to explain how the biological signals of human body can be acquired and used in a successful manner.
New to the second edition
• The chapters of the book have been reorganized so that the students can understand the concepts in a systematic manner.
• The chapter on Bioelectric Potentials and Transducers has been divided into three new chapters onTransducers for Biomedical Applications, Bioelectric Potential and Electrodes and some new sections are also included in these chapters.
• A few sections have also been added to the chapter titled Electrical Safety of Medical Equipment and Patients.
• More than 180 illustrations throughout the book.
• Short questions with answers at the end of each chapter.
• Chapter-end exercises to reinforce the understanding of the subject.